What Should You Bring?
Gear and Clothing List
We have carefully developed this list to insure your comfort on the tour regardless of the weather. If you are prepared for extreme weather, it is an adventure. If you are not prepared it can be a serious problem. We recommend the layering system, including a wicking or long underwear layer, an insulating layer, and a weather barrier for wind and rain. This list reflects that philosophy.
- Bringing or Renting
- mountain bike (Our rentals come with flat pedals. You are welcome to bring your own if you prefer.)
- helmet (gratis w/rental bike)
- sleeping bag
- sleeping pad
- Cycling Clothing
- cycling shoes
- 3 - 5 pair cycling shorts
- 3 - 5 cycling jerseys
- long sleeve jersey
- cycling socks
- tights or leg warmers
- 2 pair cycling gloves
- rain jacket (Gore-Tex or similar)
- rain pants (Gore-Tex or similar)
- Camp Clothing
- 2 pair shorts
- wool socks
- long underwear, top and bottom (wicking layer, not cotton)
- 2 pair warm long pants
- long sleeve fleece or sweater
- pile or down jacket (insulating layer)
- warm gloves and hat
- bathing suit
- hiking shoes
- cheap plastic rain gear (to wear in camp)
- Personal Items
- sunscreen & lip balm
- medication (epi pen, inhaler)
- insect repellent
- biodegradable soap
- cash for souvenirs
- flashlight or headlamp (w/ extra batteries)
- hat or visor
- 2 large water bottles (provided by WSC)
- riding hydration pack
- day pack (Your small daypack will be used to store things needed during the day such as rain gear, prescription drugs and sunscreen. This will be in the vehicle and be accessible throughout the day.)
- camera, extra batteries
- alcoholic beverages (your guides will pack these)
- books or maps
- solar charger for your mobile phone/digital devices (we recommend that you turn them off, but if you cannot, please bring a way to power them).
For this season we are happy to announce our continued partnership with Specialized. We rent S, M, L and XL 2015 Specialized Camber 29 full suspension bikes, equipped with hydraulic disc brakes and 29 inch wheels, for $45 per day.
For our family trips we also rent a full range of kid sized Specialized bikes, and trail-a-longs. Bike rentals include a helmet, however if you have your own we suggest you bring it.
The bikes are equipped with flat pedals. If you ride clipless pedals, we suggest you bring them with you and we will put them on your rental bike. You may also bring your own saddle if you have one you love.
Renting Camping Gear
We rent Sierra Designs and Mountain Hardware two-man tents, 20-degree sleeping bags and Thermarest pads. A package for one person is $90/tour.
Bringing Your Own Gear
You are welcome to bring your own camping gear and/or bicycle. We highly recommend having your bike tuned up before your tour so you know it is in top running condition. Our guides are fine mechanics, but there aren't any bike shops in the backcountry!
If you plan to travel with your bike, check with your airline for any additional fees. Most airlines charge at least $75 each way to fly with your bike.
We suggest you ship your bike to us in advance. For a $180 fee we will unpack your bike, build it, and ship it home after your tour. Domestic shipping only.
Great Outdoors Adventures
478 Mill Creek Drive
Moab, UT 84532
800-845-2453 or 435-259-8732